The Detection of Metallo Beta Lactamase Producing Pseudomonas Aeruginosa in A Tertiary Care Hospital
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2023, Volume 10, Issue 2, Pages 825-833
AbstractBackground: Pseudomonas species is responsible for 10% of nosocomial infections particularly in patients with burns and in an ICU environment. The most frequent mechanism of resistance to carbapenem, the most widely used medication to treat Pseudomonas, is the synthesis of metallo-β-lactamases (MBL). Both microbiologists and clinicians need to know the incidence of MBL-producing Pseudomonas in their area in order to develop an infection control plan for hospitals. The current study aimed to identify the incidence of MBL among clinical isolates of Pseudomonas species in a tertiary care hospital.
Methods: The samples include blood, urine, pus, body fluids, and catheter tips. The samples were cultivated on Blood agar, MacConkey's agar, and Thioglycolate broth, except for blood and urine samples. Brain Heart Infusion broth was used to culture blood. Blood and MacConkey's agar were used to culture urine. All culture plates were incubated overnight at 37°C. Identification of organisms was done by standard laboratory technique based on colony characteristics, Gram staining, and biochemical tests.
Results: All n=50 pseudomonas isolates were tested for antibiotic sensitivity testing by using the Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion method. Among the n=50 isolates n=45 isolates showed resistance to imipenem remaining n=5 isolates were intermediate sensitive. The highest sensitivity was noted to Polymyxin-B (100%) followed by Piperacillin+tazobactam (70%), Amikacin (50%), Cefoperazone+Sulbactam (36%), Gentamycin (28%), Netilmycin (26%), Cefotaxime (12%), Ciprofloxacin (10%) and Ceftazidime (2%). Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates tested for metallo β-lactamases by using imipenem-EDTA combined disk method (CDT). N=18 (36%) isolates were shown positive results and the remaining n=32 (64%) isolates were shown negative results.
Conclusion: The development of MBL genes and their proliferation among bacterial pathogens are a topic of concern concerning the future of antimicrobial therapy since more and more MBL-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates are being identified as a major source of nosocomial infections. To conclude there are 36% of metallo beta-lactamase-producing pseudomonas aeruginosa prevalent in our area. Therefore, detection of these MBL-producing P. aeruginosa is crucial for the optimal treatment of critically ill patients and to prevent the spread of resistance.
- Article View: 16
- PDF Download: 64