Airway Assessment In Patients Undergoing Oral And Maxillofacial Surgical Procedures Under General Anesthesia: An Institutional Study
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2023, Volume 10, Issue 2, Pages 733-745
Preoperative management of the patient is the liability of a medical attendance. An understanding of risk factors before general anaesthesia [GA] is an important factor for preoperative management.The present study was aimed at assessing the airway of patients undergoing oral surgical procedures under general anaesthesia in our institution.
MATERIAL AND METHODS:
The study was performed under a university setting where all the data of patients who underwent oral and maxillofacial surgical procedure under general anaesthesia.The collected data was compiled, reviewed , tabulated and entered in SPSS software and statistically analysed.
55% of the patients were males and the rest (45%) were females. Airway assessment in patients according to mallampati classification revealed that 57% were of class I, 38% were of class II , 3% were of class III and less than 1% were class IV. Patients who underwent FMR (40%) and cleft lip/palate (14%) had class I airway. Patients who underwent ORIF and enucleation both had class I (19.5%), class II (3.5%) airways and class I (4%), class II (1%) airways respectively. Patients who underwent orthognathic surgery had class I (11%) and class II (3.5%) airways. Patients undergoing TMJ surgery including ankylosis release, surgery for Oral submucous fibrosis had predominantly class III (1%) and class IV (2.5%) airways. Difficult airways (class III, Class IV) were present in patients undergoing procedures like TMJ ankylosis release, and surgery for oral submucous fibrosis.The association between the mallampati classification and the treatment [oral and maxillofacial surgical procedures] done under GA was statistically significant with p=0.025 (p<0.05) [chi square test].
Assessing airway is crucial before any surgical treatment. The modified Mallampati test is easy to perform, more accurate and is commonly used to assess the airway of patients undergoing oral and maxillofacial procedures under general anesthesia. Complications might not occur if the pre operative assessment of the airway of the patient is done properly using this classification, and the surgery is planned accordingly.
- Article View: 12
- PDF Download: 61