Analysis of Renal Dysfunction in Patients with Liver Cirrhosis: An Institutional Based Study
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 7, Pages 337-342
AbstractIntroduction: Liver disease is a common disorder affecting multiple system. It accounts for approximately 2 million deaths every year worldwide and 1 million due to complications of cirrhosis. Current epidemiological trends show that common liver diseases in Asia–Pacific countries are alcohol-related liver diseases, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), hepatitis B and C, etc. Most of them lead to cirrhosis of liver. Renal dysfunction is one of the most common complications of cirrhosis with high morbidity and mortality.
Materials and Methodology: This study was adopted to be conducted as hospital-based study was carried on 133 cirrhotic patients admitted in the Tertiary care centre. Patients details that includes their demographic data, clinical examination findings and results of laboratory investigations were collected. CTP (Child Pugh) score and MELD (Model for End Stage Liver disease) Score of patients were also briefed. End results for continuous variables were expressed as means and standard deviation. Categorical variables were described as percentages. Significant factors that were associated with the presence of renal dysfunction was analysed using binary logistic regression analysis Bivariate analysis was carried out using pearsons coefficient of correlation. Odds Ratio (OR) was enabled to ascertain the strength of relationship between two variables.
Results: A total of 133 patients were included in this study. Male patients were in majority constituting 85.3% (n=113) of the total population, the rest were females (14.7%). Mean age of patients in the study group was 51.32 years (+ 13.72). The most common aetiology of cirrhosis was found to be alcohol, comprising of about 74.5%. 22 patients had more than 1 aetiology for cirrhosis, the most common of which has combined alcohol and NASH (Non-Alcoholic Steato Hepatitis) related, observed in 9 patients.
Conclusion: The present study has found significant correlation between the severity of liver dysfunction and some parameters of renal dysfunction. However, there is no such significant association was observed between the distribution of various renal parameters among different aetiologies of chronic liver disease.
- Article View: 50
- PDF Download: 86