Feto-maternal outcome assessment of caesarean section during second stage of labor in a tertiary care facility
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 2, Pages 2008-2012
AbstractAim: To assess the maternal and fetal outcome of caesarean section in second stage of labour.
Methods: This prospective observational study was carried out in the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at VIMS, Dahanu for the period of 2 years. Total 400 patients were included into the study. All caesarean sections performed at full cervical dilatation over the time period of Two years at a VIMS hospital Dahanu.
Results: During the Two years period, a total of 24600 women delivered by caesarean section, 16800 emergency and 7800 elective cases. Of these 400 (2.38%) were at full cervical dilatation, >37 weeks gestation with a singleton fetus in cephalic presentation. Among the 400 patient’s majority of them were in the age group of 20-30 years (72.5%). about 75.5% of the patients were primigravidae and only the remaining 24.5% were multigravida. The commonest indications for doing caesarean section in the second stage of labour were cephalo pelvic disproportion, fetal distress and obstructed labour. Incidence of PPH is 48 out of 400 cases (12%). Post-operative wound infection was seen in 23(5.75%) and Post-operative fever was seen in 70(17.5%) out of 400 cases. There were no cases of maternal deaths reported. The mean operative time was 52.9 min .The mean length of hospital stays was 6.6 days. Mean weight of the babies of the second stage caesarean section was 3.2 kg. 20 (5%) babies were admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and 53 (13.25%) to neonatal nursery for management of respiratory distress, sepsis, jaundice and observation. 46 (11.5%) babies had Neonatal jaundice and there were 3 neonatal deaths reported.
Conclusion: Cesarean sections done in second stage of labor are associated with several intra-operative maternal complications and neonatal morbidity.
- Article View: 63
- PDF Download: 87