The functional outcomes of surgical management of supracondylar fractures of humerus in children
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 2, Pages 1825-1832
AbstractClosed reduction with plaster of Paris slab immobilization has traditionally been used for supracondylar fractures, but loss of reduction and necessity of repeated manipulation likely results malunion producing varus or occasionally valgus deformity of elbow and elbow stiffness.
Because of lower percentage of good results and higher percentage of early and late complications compared with skeletal traction, percutaneous pinning and open reduction, casting is appropriate only for undisplaced fractures. The clinical material for the study consists of 30 cases of fresh supracondylar fractures of humerus in children of traumatic etiology meeting inclusion and exclusion criteria. Out of 19 patients which were treated by closed reduction, 16 patients (84.2%) showed excellent result and remaining 3 showed good results (15.8%) according to Mitchell and Adams criteria. Out of 11 patients treated by open reduction, 5 patients (45.5%) showed excellent results and 4 patients (36.4%) showed good results and 2 poor results (18.2%) were obtained with a statistically moderate significant value of p 0.045.
- Article View: 38
- PDF Download: 71